Tuesday, August 17, 2010




The Old Farmer

A farmer was out in his field surveying the damage to the crops, it had been a long dry summer near a drought and the heat felt like it was baking him and the plants on which his livelihood was based on. "One more season like this and I'll be ruined." He grumbled to himself, as he picked up a handful of soil and let it fall through his hands. He had never been a praying man but he sure felt like doing it now but he wouldn't do it, his wife had past only the year previous and he had given up on God when she past on, his pride wouldn't let him ask God for the slightest thing. He walked back to his house sat down at his dinner table and started drinking another cup of coffee, the table was strewn with overdue papers from creditors and the bank, he had held off the wolves at the doors until after the harvest season. "What am I going to do!" He slammed his fist on the table and shut his eyes. He got up from his table, he hadn't touched his coffee, he walked back to his fields and dropped on his knees. "Oh Lord I haven't talked to you in a while and I sure wasn't planning on it today but your the only one I can ask for this now, I need rain I don't want to loose this place it's all I have left of my wife if you can help me now I'm gonna promise I'll go back to the church and be there every Sunday from here on in, and I need to apologize for my stubbornness and anger towards you oh Lord, please help me, Amen." He prayed with his eyes to the heavens and his arms opened wide. Just then the clouds rolled in and it got dark the thunder clapped and the lightening lite up the skies. The rain came down like in bucket loads watered the fields and the farmer danced a dance of joy.

"Clarence it's good to see you again I know it hasn't been easy on you." The old farmer looked at the reverend, "It is good to see you too preacher."

No comments:

Post a Comment